Friday, June 18, 2010

create: patchwork cafe curtains

so heres a little project i started a few days back... we have this super tall window in the kitchen behind the sink...and i have been wanting to rig up some kind of cafe curtain for it....so the other night I gathered some vintage hankies and this vintage pillowcase, whipped out my sewing machine, and went to work...

I simply made a 2x2 grid, sewing the hankies together and cutting the pillow case into squares coordinating with the size of the hankies. (if you like to measure, then feel free!)...I added a wooden button in the center where all the corners meet...this reminds me a lot of my patchwork shower curtain i did a few months back....
to attach my newly sewn cafe curtain to a tension rod, I simply made loops with twine (my favorite crafting tool!), stringing them first through the hankies with a needle then tying a simple knot around the tension rod....
i finished my first curtain and was too tired to get started on the second...so that will come later! But I thought this was a good start...and knowing myself, if I wait to post, then I never will! happy friday!

3 comments:

  1. Your talent never ceases to amaze me Whitney!
    The nice thing is that if you need a hankie to blow your nose, you know where to find them...Love you much, Uncle Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these, Whit! I've been trying to think of something for our kitchen window and not coming up with much. I'm super thankful for this great kitchen that Tim worked so hard on, but I still want it to look vintage...and not like a Gordman's ad, you know? I'd love to do something like these! Mind if I copy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is adorable and I am in love with all of your projects! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete