Tuesday, March 16, 2010

create: mouse pad makeover

confession: ever since we have been married, my husband and I have failed to purchase a mouse pad. almost two full years of mouse pad-less-ness (word?). Instead, we have been using the object that you see above, a wrinkled cardstock "Save the Date" from a friend's past wedding, complete with random directions, telephone numbers, notes, etc written all over it.

CLASSY.

So naturally, the other day, as I was wandering the aisles of my local Dollar Tree (love that place!), I snatched up the first mouse pad I saw...Spiderman. Not my first choice in styles, but for a buck, who can complain? Thus, I set to work transforming Spidey into something a little more...grown up chic.
Here are my tools: a scrap of pretty fabric from that pillow in my previous post, decoupage (my favorite!), and Spidey, of course.

A thin coat of decoupage (applied directly to Spidey) to secure the fabric, then trim the edges as closely as you can. I even painted a little decoupage along the sides of the mouse pad so to create a cleaner edge.

The edges didnt look finished enough for my taste, so I broke out my glue gun and added some natural jute trim.

And, ta da! A brand new, respectable, Spidey-free mouse pad!

And in case you were wondering, that old "Save the Date" has been recycled :-)










5 comments:

  1. What a great project! You are one crafty and creative gal. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm gonna have to give my mouse pad a re-do!! GREAT idea! Judi

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have inspired me to update my mouse pad...not as bad as the one you were using but pretty close! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete